Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Living on an Airplane

Over the Pacific
Traveling by plane. Not my favorite. The trip started off rocky. Multiple luggage fiascoes resulting in the removal of over 20 lbs. worth of items from my suitcases. Not at home but oh yes, on the scale at the airport before the first leg. Yep, I was THAT annoying person. All the airline personnel were pleasant and even sighed as Julie (my "packing director") and I yanked clothes and books and blankets for orphans - yes, I made sure they knew what was at stake but they didn't budge...not even for 1 lb. Upon arrival at LAX, they said "no way" to my massive carry-on. I had a feeling that would happen. They wanted to check it - which was not an option for me so then came the purchase of a 3rd piece of luggage: a cardboard box with duct tape. The most expensive box I've ever owned. It was possible that they still wouldn't take the backpack because it was honestly over the size limit. Additionally, I asked Virgin Atlantic to confirm the transfer of my other 2 suitcases from United and the answer: not yet. Great. Then I remember that one of them was left unlocked. Super great. I almost panicked - I could feel the heavy breaths building in my chest as I moved stuff out of the big rolling backpack to the brown box. But there was a moment as I was re-measuring the carry-on beast where I got out of my own head. A surprise for me in such a stressful situation. I sensed God saying, "I got this." And I thought, he is like my traveling companion, by my side, giving advice in sticky situations such as this. Kinda like if my Dad was with me, always knowing what to do. And then, I lost my box and found it. And then, I lost my boarding pass and found it. My brain was about to explode and i started doubting myself. Can I really do this? Maybe I'm not cut out for this? If I can't handle luggage, how can I handle transportation in a foreign city? The insecurities poured in. Breathe, Mandy, breathe. I've got this. I almost missed my flight but they checked the box and let me take the carry-on. Phew.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mandy, I love the way you express yourself. You make me laugh and I really feel your pain. On my last trip at the airport, I started crying when they took all my deet and sunscreen. I am just so glad you made it okay to Kenya.