Saturday, December 17, 2011

The Boy Who Could Dance

Yesterday I ventured to the "far side of the sea". Collins, my sponsored boy through Compassion International lives in Likoni near Mombasa on the coast of Kenya at the Indian Ocean. My early morning in Nairobi was full of self-created discouragement. My roommate and dear friend, Kate left me notes to open while in Kenya, one for each day. There was one without a date entitled "Just in case you need a reminder" and at the airport, I needed a reminder. The note encouraged me to be courageous and strong and it was just what I needed. Upon arrival in Mombasa, I was picked up by Eddah, the Mombasa Program Director. She greeted me with such enthusiasm and I felt reassured that everything was going to be okay. Our first stop was to Nakumatt (grocery store) to pick up a "food basket" for Collins' family - basically a grocery sack full of sugar, salt, cooking oil, soap, cornmeal and flour. (This whole time I thought Eddah was saying "fruit basket" and was confused at why we didn't buy any fruit...LOL). The sun was beating down and there was lots of humidity in the air. I was dripping with sweat...clothes wet, any little makeup gone, and hair...we won't even mention. Let's just say I had hoped to make a better first impression. I know, I know what you're going to say. But I'm just being honest. The short journey to Likoni was via the drive-your-car-on ferry and mostly unpaved roads barely wide enough for two cars to pass each other. Both sides of the street were lined with vendors: food shops, beauty salons, furniture makers, bars, and "top up here" cell phone credit vendors. Few cars but lots of motorbikes and bicycles with men carrying jerry cans or produce or wood.

We finally arrived at Ushindi Baptist Church where the Compassion Centre is located. Eddah and I sat down for introductions with Maggy, the program director and Mary, a parent volunteer around a large table as if this was a parent-teacher conference. They brought in two boys to "test" me to see if I knew who Collins was :) Duh. Of course I knew who he was and I immediately went over and embraced him. I couldn't believe my eyes. The boy to whom I had been writing letters and sending photos was standing next to me in the flesh. How grown up and handsome he looked at 14 years of age!
Meeting Collins

No longer the little boy of 8 that I chose out of a sea of children 6 years ago. He was so quiet and shy but I could tell he was happy. They brought out his folder - this was a serious parent-teacher conference! I went through each page chronicling his education, development and health over the years. Then we went into another building where the other children greeted me with "Silent Night" in Swahili. I introduced myself holding Collins' hand. I couldn't tell if he was embarrassed but I didn't care. I was so proud of him. To make a point, Maggy asked the kids to raise their hand if they had met their sponsor. And not one child raised their hand. I was the first sponsor EVER to visit the program at Ushindi Child Development Centre. Wow. All those year and no one.
Collins and his dad
Next we went on the home visit. Dad joined us at the church and he greeted me as if I were a long lost friend.
We all walked down the dirt road not more than a mile to their humble one-room home. I was greeted by step mom and baby brother, Gift. I presented the food basket and they presented me with a Leso, an African patterned cloth.
A gift from Collins' family
A beautiful token of our friendship. I was so honored and touched. Dad said a few words, translated by Eddah of how grateful they are for my sponsorship of Collins and the opportunity for him to be in the program. We all stood up and step mom prayed for us in English - so sweet and loving. On the way back, Collins and I walked side by side, mostly in silence except for my few questions. I wonder how he felt?
I was so proud, walking with the Leso wrapped around my waist, wiping the sweat dripping down my face.
Collins and his family

Back at the centre, we took lunch where my pseudo-vegan self actually ate chicken and probably goat. And no I didn't get sick :) Earlier, during Collins' "portfolio review", I noticed his interests included "dancing". In fact the line said "enjoys dancing to gospel music with the Blessed Boys". This is something he never mentioned to me in letters. Football, running, cars, friends, yes...but dancing? No. Apparently he has a "crew" a.k.a. the Blessed Boys that he leads in dances and they even compete with other groups! Really?! So I requested a special performance :) We went into the main church building and the kids queued up the music and started dancing.
The boy who could dance

I was blown away by how Collins moved. He was clearly the best one - they were all very good but I could tell he was dancing with passion from his heart and soul. He was completely invested. A boy after my own heart. All of us gals sat on the sidelines cheering with laughter and clapping and shouting. Maggy kept saying, "this is the sweet love of Jesus!" Then Collins grabbed my hand and pulled me up to join them. You knew this was coming, right? I followed along as best I could...the gals still watching from the bench roaring with delight that this white girl could actually dance! It was a surreal moment. Almost out of body. Who knew my boy was a dancer?! He was meant to be my "son".
With Mary, Maggy and Eddah

After the dancing, we went back to the centre and this was Collin's last chance to ask me any questions or say parting words. The ladies left the room and the poor shy kid was like a deer in headlights but he was brave in asking me about my work and my family. Then he thanked me for coming to visit and said he wished I could come back on Monday. His left temple was clenching and I could see the tears behind his eyes. I told him how proud I am that he is becoming a wonderful young man. I encouraged him to continue his studies and work hard and reaffirmed my commitment to him. Then I prayed for him. When the ladies came back in, I told them about my solo journey to Kenya. How I've had anxious moments of fear and doubt but I've continued to pray for God's protection and read aloud to them this: "If I rise on the wings of dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast." (Psalm 139:9-10). I started tearing up. Then Eddah, who has led many sponsor visits throughout Mombasa said this one was unlike any she's been on before. It was the most special she's experienced. My heart was touched. I felt like God was there with us. And I don't throw around that phrase lightly. There are no words to truly describe my feelings.
As we drove away and waved goodbye, Collins was wearing the gifts I brought to him, a backpack, sunglasses and a baseball cap...he looked so precious. Then I was reminded that I get to sponsor him for 8 more years and I know we will meet again.
The "far side of the sea," Mombasa, Kenya

7 comments:

Hope said...

well you know that I am weeping- i mean weeping!! this is all such an intense gift from God. He said walk with me by the ocean and by a different ocean then your house was this boy- your son who can dance!!! i mean really- really???? God is so all over this. i love you and will want to pray even more!

Anne D. Wanjohi said...

Mandy I am in tears (and you know how hard it is to cry without with eyelashes!) What a beautiful story! A wonderful testimony of an ever loving faithful God who has chosen to touch not just the heart of a poor Kenyan boy but a whole school, village by the obedience of one special girl from the other ends of the world. Mandy, for Collins and the other children of the center you are the face and hands of an invisible God. But this time, He is white and a lady. :) Stay blessed rafiki.

Anonymous said...

Dear Mandy,
Mandy! I miss you so much! (You could probably guess that I am your oldest niece.) I LOVE your story! I wish it was a book! I would totally buy it if it was. Your story is making me feel a little jealous. That's because you get to meet your Compassion child. I have one, too. I wish I could meet her. I also kind of want to be in Kenya with you. And I am glad you get to miss Christmas to meet your Compassion child (of course I miss you and will miss you on Christmas, too!) I wish I could go with you sometime. Did you know that I would go on Christmas to meet my Compassion child if I could? I just got my first letter from my Compassion child. I have sent her two letters so far. In her letter it said her father died. Her name is Kanya. Have a good trip and merry Christmas!
Morgan

Kim said...

Sister, this is so beautiful I have tears in my eyes. You are on such an adventure to the heart of God. I dont know what that means exactly, but I know its true. Im so proud of you and know you will leave Africa changed.

Brooke said...

Oh Mandy,
That is so beautiful. I had chills as I read that. I wish I could have seen you dance with the boys! I was praying for you today, and I can't wait to hear more about your journey.
xo,
Brooke

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blogs. What a wonderful, touching story. It is brought me to tears. I hope you are taking millions of pictures. I wish I was there with you. Give my love to our kids. I can't wait to hear about your next adventure.

Stephenie Craig said...

I'm tearing up sister. That is such a special moment and so set out by God. I love that he's has dance in his soul just like you do. So beautiful that you got to meet him in person and so sad that it's so rare for people to meet thier sponsors in person. And I'm so glad you felt God's presence close to you there.