Friday, September 11, 2009

TumuTumu School for the Deaf

September 11, 2009 in Kenya: School for the Deaf Day! This was the day I'd been waiting for and one of the main reason why I joined the North Coast team going to Kenya. During the 2 hour drive to TumuTumu, I met and chatted with Kenyan Sign Language Interpreter, Judy Wanjiru. Judy is a freelance interpreter and also interprets at St. Andrews Presbyterian Church in Nairobi where hundreds of deaf people attend. We instantly connected and talked about KSL vs ASL, her sign background and I picked her brain for KSL signs. When we arrived at TumuTumu, our team checked into the guest house then toured the 100 year old hospital on site. TumuTumu is in Karatina near Mt. Kenya which is a lush mountainous region where they grow lots of coffee and tea. The weather was cool and breezy...such a beautiful day.

Felicia and I were assigned to organize the day's activities although we were also told to be SUPER flexible. Africa time is different than America time...it's kinda like DST (Deaf Standard Time) :) The moment we arrived at the school's front gates which proudly read their name, mission and vision, I was so excited! When we walked onto the school property, the kids were so affectionate and I loved that I could somewhat communicate with them. Luckily the alphabet in KSL is the same as ASL. In fact, many signs are the same. Our team gathered in the teacher's lounge to meet the headmaster and spell out our plan. That's when the chaos began. To make a long story short, I wasn't able to do an effective job of leading my team through the plan. Part of that ineffectiveness was my lack of preparation and the other part involved some teammates trying to take charge when it wasn't their day to be the chief. This was a very challenging situation for me...and in the end I was proud of my non-confrontational self for setting boundaries with others. So the day proceeded but in a rough and messy fashion. Anyone who works with deaf kids knows that it can be a lot of fun but getting 200 kids' attention at one time to explain directions is nearly impossible. Once outside, the kids played soccer (we brought new balls), parachute, bubbles, and ribbon games. I tossed around the volleyball with some teenage girls and helped with the big bubbles. I also chatted with Allen, a TumuTumu teacher who is an American and a Peace Corps Volunteer...ironically he attended Cal State Northridge (CSUN) while I was working there but we never crossed paths. Later we all went inside for the organized mayhem craft project. It was definitely crazy but the kids were so creative and energetic. The day ended too soon and we were invited to "take tea" with the headmaster and teachers. I enjoyed talking to some of the teachers but I wished for more time with the kids. Overall, the day wasn't what I expected. I had hoped for more interactions, connecting and bonding with the kids. I had hoped to do something with a greater purpose. I felt crushed when we left and had a strong desire to re-do the day all over again. But later I realized that this day was not about ME...duh. It was about the kids. Looking back, I think the kids had a fun experience and felt loved by our team. The day was about building relationships and I believe we did that. The headmaster was thrilled that we came all the way from America to visit and invited us to come back again soon. I forgot to sign the guest book which is a Kenya tradition when you visit places or homes so I guess that means I'm meant to go back there :)




With Judy, the KSL Interpreter and Mr. Headmaster

http://fromcalitokenya.blogspot.com/

0 comments: