Friday, June 12, 2009

GO, FIGHT, WIN, Kenyan Deafies!

One of my Google Alerts is set to "kenya deaf" which means every time there's a news article or blog posting anywhere on the internet with those two keywords, I get an email about it. Because of these notifications, I've learned some fascinating things and I'm even following the blogs of complete strangers. It's amazing how information gets around these days! Below are a few cool things I've found:

1) FEED 2 Kenya Bag

Too bad it's $195 and only available at Bergdorf Goodman in NYC or I would buy one! Handcrafted in Kenya by a coop of women and deaf Kenyans, each FEED 2 Kenya bag includes a $100 donation to the UN World Food Program's School Feeding operations in Kenya. Not only does this purchase support women and deaf Kenyan artisans, but the donation provides meals to 2 Kenyan children for one year. Each bag is hand-beaded and made with burlap and the iconic Kenyan Masai tribal fabric. The WFP school feeding program in Kenya is a needed support for a nation that is now dealing with a food crisis leaving 10 million Kenyans at risk of hunger. Click here to see video of FEED Founder showing the bag and interviewing with Good Day New York.

2) Peace Corps Volunteers Teaching the Deaf


I've read a TON about "Deaf Education" Peace Corps Volunteers working in Kenya. I'm very impressed because it seems a) these volunteers really don't know any Kenyan Sign Language going into their assignment and b) they don't have any formal training on how to teach...period. My degree is in Deaf Education and I know first hand how difficult it is to teach...let alone teach deaf kids. I can't imagine trying to teach when you don't even know the language. Kudos to these young volunteers for having the courage to try! Click here to see a short video clip from a school for the deaf in Mombasa. They are so cute and it warms my heart to see little deaf kids signing and to hear their deaf "voices". Love it. [Picture credit: http://www.hearkenya.com/]


3) Deaf Team in the Nairobi Basketball Association

The "Deaf Queens" made history by recently joining the Nairobi league. The article I read said they lost their first game but put up a spirited fight. Apparently they will be playing in the upcoming Deaflympics, THE olympic games for the Deaf. GO, FIGHT, WIN, Kenyan Deafies! Click here to read the full article published in the Daily Nation, Kenya's Daily Newspaper.



http://fromcalitokenya.blogspot.com

0 comments: